Our History

With a history spanning back to 1939, New Zealand Starch is no newcomer to the marketplace. After several years manufacturing in Christchurch, in 1958 the operation relocated to Onehunga, Auckland – the same site it manufactures from today. Originally manufacturing wheat starch, when reductions in subsidies were announced in 1967, the then owners where encouraged to investigate alternative options. In 1969 a glucose refinery was commissioned, with plans for a maize wet-mill placed on hold while Government considered tariff measures to protect the new business.

By 1973 the glucose refinery was in full production, and in 1976 the maize plant was commissioned.

IMG_0184sfwOver the next six years considerable upgrading of the maize plant was undertaken, and, in line with a Government review, the inefficient wheat starch plant was closed and all subsidies and tariffs were removed. Since 1983 the business has strived to achieve higher and higher standards consistent with the requirements of our customers, continuing to review processes and improve operations to remain competitive.

Being only the second company in New Zealand to achieve FSSC22000 – the highest possible globally-recognised food safety accreditation – New Zealand Starch today is a leading supplier of non-GMO and gluten-free maize based products to customers across a wide spread of industry sectors both domestically and internationally.